Thursday, 25 July 2013

Back from London

I tried my best not to write this post. Not that I care receiving bad comments for what I write - I would actually like to read some to know what to change - I thought this article could annoy some of you. But I think that the time is on.

This article - the one I've talked about a long time ago - is about ... TADAM!  ONE DIRECTION! 

(NB: Once again, I will just judge their public image. I don't know them personally. Therefore I can't and won't say anything about their personal lives.)

       •  First of all, they are everywhere. In every book shop, every tourists attraction in London (I was shocked to see t-shirts, masks, etc... with their faces on !), shops that are dedicated to them, even in Museum ! Hopefully, we did NOT manage to see their wax figures at Mrs Tussauds. You can't spend a day listening to radio without hearing them. Not spending a few minutes on Twitter or Instagram without seeing the terms "1D" or "OneDirection" in the trend topic section // pictures of them in the "most liked pictures". I am NOT a hater, I just don't care about them - as they are tooooo commercial. But seeing their faces everywhere is becoming really annoying.



         •  They've got the same introduction as The Clash's "Should I Stay or Should I Go" in "Live While We're Young", the same as Queen's "We Will Rock You" in "Rock You" and not it's the same as The Who's "Baba O'Riley" in "Best Song Ever". Really? 



       •  In France, you can't watch a TV programme on how-to-find-love or relooking or something linked to once of those topics without hearing "What Makes You Beautiful".



A few days ago, I was watching a video on Youtube (by The National, a Canadian band), and what was my surprise when I saw the VEVO ad for their new video "Best Song Ever". And can we talk about the title of this song? Isn't it a bit too much. Okay. I have read the lyrics and they are talking of a song they've heard a night that was the best song they've ever heard. But with that title... As if the name of my Blogspot was "Most Beautiful Girl" (and after reading it through, you'd realise it's about Audrey Hepburn and not the person writing it). Admit it. At first, you'd say "Wow! She's a bit too confident about herself." ... Like I said: TOO MUCH! Anyway. This ad was everywhere for days. Under some Taylor Swift, Miley Cyrus, Justin Bieber, or even The Wanted (Yup! You've read it well : The Wanted), why not. But something as dark and far away from 1D as The National, I don't understand.




Three years they've been together. Only three years and yet it feels it's been a decade or more. Movie, documentary, books, calendar... Please. If one person of their marketing team can once read that, please, for people that are not interested in their music, faces, personnal lives (and tattoos): give it a break. Give us a break for a week. Ok, just four days without hearing them or from them. No paparazzi, no TV-/Radio-itw, no photoshoot, no new magazine, no concert... Nothing. Believe me or not, people will really get tired of them and it'd stop in a sec.



I won't lie, I find it great that they have achieved lots of things at their ages - because it is. But marketing do not play it the good way I think.


*
*      *

One last thing:

How can we compare this:



To this:


The Beatles had created the Beatles Mania, they were all great musician. "One Direction sold their album fatser than the Beatles." Are you comparing a band of four British male musicians and singers of the 60s-70s (when internet did not even exist, television was expensive, such as telephone - and smartphones were not even there so no Twitter, Facebook or Instagram) to a BOYBAND of five British male non-musician but singers who live in the 21st century (in which you don't even have to move from your house for your fruits, icecream, pizza, books, movies, clothes, etc. to be delivered to your house)? NOT COMPARABLE ! (not even for the music... Computer v. Strings. Strings win it!)


Well, if you want to compare them to a band of four European male musicians and singers of the 21st century that sold albums in the US, try this one. More accurate!



*
*      *

Take Care
xx. Em

No comments:

Post a Comment